Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 13:01:02 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
To:        Joao Pedras <jpedras@webvolution.net>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sync cache

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 07:16:20PM -0700, Joao Pedras wrote:
> Greetings all!
>
> I have a couple of systems with a similar scsi disk sub-system.
>
> When I shutdown (and only then, since I haven't noticed this in any
> other ocasion) I get :
>
> SYNCHRONIZE CACHE. CDB: 35 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>  error code 0
>
> after the syncing disks stuff.
>
> Is there a problem here ?

The drive did not implement the sync cache command, which is used
to flush out the write cache.
Unless you have enabled write cache and turn off the machine right
after shutting down there is no problem.
Normaly only older SCSI-1 drives do not implement the command.

> The host controllers are Adaptecs 29160 and they are connected to a
> OpenRAID (FlashDisk) from Winchester Systems.

Even if they do not need the command they should have implemented
it as a nop.
Possibly this command is even required in recent SCSI specs.
Such a lousy implementation does not create trust in firmware.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de