Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:17:25 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, alex@wnm.net
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Re: misc/11796: Bad lines in 3.2-RELEASE inetd.conf]

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:10:47 MST, Doug wrote:

> In fact, the man page is correct, however the inetd code currently
> has an outdated version of the canonical name. Thus, at minimum the
> man page should be udpated to reflect this reality. A better solution
> would be to remove the hard coded values in the code, and fix the
> config file.

It took me a bit of playing to find the problem, since the PR doesn't
say

"
if I use service name ``auth'' instead of ``inetd'', I get the following
error message from inetd:

	internal service auth unknown
"

That's the kind of thing I was looking for when I asked you (twice) to
send a useful "How-To-Repeat". It doesn't help that people who've run
into the problem understand the vague description provided, because I
haven't run into it.

Now that I understand the problem, I'd like to put forward this
proposal:

The manual pages for services(5), inetd(8) and inetd.conf(5) are
adequate if inetd accepts both canonical service names _and_ aliases.
Therefore a healthy, backward-compatible change that is unlikely to
accept existing users is to teach inetd to understand service name
aliases.

I'm not yet saying that this is possible, but I am saying that I'll
look into it if it'd make you happy. Whatever your preference is, I'd
suggest dropping freebsd-hackers from further discussion. Now that we
all understand each other, it's probably more appropriate that the
conversation continue on PR feedback only.

Ciao,
Sheldon.