Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 22:59:51 -0400
From:      AlanE <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Meaning of severity/priority for ports PRs

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 07:44:22PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 01:39:07PM -0700, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
>> So does a bug that prevents the games/diddle program from running
>> get a severity/priority of critical/high (from the port's viewpoint)
>> or non-critical/low (from the viewpoints of the OS or the OS
>> developers or most porters)?
>
>Unfortunately severity and priority are not very meaningful because
>most people regularly abuse them (IT IS A CRITICAL BUG THAT THERE IS A
>TYPO IN THIS COMMENT).  I don't usually pay attention to them myself.

FWIW, I usually use 'critical' for something that stops a build,
'serious' for bugs that impair functionality or screw up deinstallation,
and non-critical for things like doc errors. I use priority high for
things that are depended upon by lots of other things, or things that
are used by a lot of people. I use priority medium for most other
things, and priority low for cosmetic errors.

These get tempered by how close to a freeze or release we are,
especially escalating serious to critical for nasty bugs that need to
get stomped before a release gets cut (or other stuff that's just plain
embarassing to us to have go out on a bunch of boxed CD sets).

For example, it would be nice if 'portsdb -U' ran quietly - that is,
whatever is making it spew got fixed - but I'd put it at at non-serious
and low priority because it doesn't seem to actually affect the usage of
the system, and you can always redirect it to /dev/null.

Just my $0.015 (not even worth 2 cents).
--
Alan Eldridge
Unix/C(++) IT Pro, 20 yrs, seeking new employment.