Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 10:43:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
To:        george@vagner.com (vagner)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (Freebsd Questions)
Subject:   Re: offtopic fast hard drive

	As has been said, "a" disk probably won't do that... :-)

> i been looking at seagate barracuda's and IBM's
> but they are so far in price difference i dont know
> whay one is / is not superior to the other?

	Hard to say. IBM and Seagate are definitely locked in
   a very competitive battle for SCSI supremacy. I have both
   on my system.

> can anyone really say which one is the fastest for my card?

	I haven't measured them. I went with the Seagate 7200
   LVD 9GB drive initially simply due to cost, but installed
   the IBM 18GB 10k LVD due to needing more room. The IBM is
   quieter on seeks, however...

> WD has some impressive pricing right now for a 18 gig
> but why is it only half as much as a seagate?

	Hmmm. Are you sure it is a SCSI driver? LVD? 10k RPM?
   Those are reasons for the cost being much lower. On the
   other hand, it seems the rotating media should be the same
   whether EIDE or SCSI, and the electronics shouldn't add that
   to the price, so I have felt SCSI disk prices have been
   artificially high simply because the markey will pay that
   price. Perhaps WD is attempting to break into the SCSI
   market in a big way? Oh, check the MTBF numbers to make sure
   WD's numbers are reasonably close to Seagate and IBM...

						Bruce