Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 19:53:08 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@sneakerz.org>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TIOCSCTTY

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org> [010702 10:51] wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Could someone please explain why the following code snippet
> > does not work anymore with the "/dev/console" argument?
> >
> > # ./tiocsctty /dev/console
> > tiocsctty: ioctl(/dev/console, TIOCSCTTY): Operation not permitted

This still works here.  Perhaps another process has aquired /dev/console
as its controlling terminal.

> I think LINT has an option to allow this.  The reason, I think, is
> that you don't want non-root users to be able to grab the console
> output as it may allow them to obscure evil behavior. :)

You must be thinking of UCONSOLE.  This has nothing to do with TIOCSTTY.
It controls TIOCCONS.  TIOCCONS is evil (it currently implements panic(3)
(see another thread)), but TIOCSCTTY is very important for setting up
job control.

Bruce