Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 14:04:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS problems in 2.x -- fixed in 3.x?

While doing some development, I found out that read-only files are not treated
as read-only on a 2.x NFS server.  Nate did some poking around (he has a
Solaris box he can use as a server, which makes a good control), and found:

>Yes, I was able to reproduce it.
>
>Client - FreeBSD 2.2.8-stable (PII-300Mhz)
>
>Server1 - Solaris 2.6 (UltraSparc 2)
>Server2 - FreeBSD 2.2.8 (P133 laptop)
>
>If I create a file on both servers as myself, size 0, mode 444, and
>attempt to append to them, it fails with 'permission denied'.
>
>If I mount both directories on my client box and attempt the same
>operation (using the same UID as on the servers), it fails on the
>Solaris exported directory but succeeds on the FreeBSD exported
>directory.
>
>It is extremley reproducible using 2.2.* stuff, but I don't have any 3.*
>systems to try it on.

I don't have any 3.x systems where I am right now, either.

So... given all of the NFS changes that were done... was this one of the
things that got fixed?