Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 95 19:42:02 +0100
From:      dave@odyssey.ucc.ie (David B. O'Byrne)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   what is the best way to low level format an IDE drive ?

Hi I just was given a 200 meg Seagate Model ST 1239A drive (it also has
SWIFT Model 94354-230 on it). I was told its dead, but if I can recover whats on it its mine. Its DOS formatted so ill just try some fairly standard
boot from my hard disk and see if I can see it.

Assuming its a hardware fault, whats the lowest level format I can do ?

I think it might have something bad on it, so Id like to do the equivalent of
marking sectors bad from FreeBSd and mounting it up then as a second drive.

I looked at the FAQ, and

:wq