Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:58:21 -0500
From:      mark heaton <mark.heaton@hp.com>
To:        ia64@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        maecel@xclint.net
Subject:   Problems loading FreeBSD 5.2 on HP-RX2600

Hi,

I hoping that comeone can give me some advice with a problem that I'm having
getting FreeBSD 5.2 to install on an RX2600 Itanium system.  The system boots
from the 5.2 CD without problems and the installation program comes up
without problem. But after answering all of the prompts and confirming that I
really do want to install to the disk I get the following errors:

ERROR: Unable to write data to disk da0!

Couldn't make filesystem properly. Aborting.

And the install, logically enough, terminates.  I have tried many ways with
the installer's partitioning tool to lay out the disk.  Using the A option of
the disk tool to lay out the default file systems; deleting the efi partition
that somehow always shows up and using the A option; creating my own
partitions by hand; taking the disk to an IA64 Linux system and trying to
write the partitions there.  Please, if anyone has any ideas how to get
around this I would surely appreciate your assistance.

Thanks in advance!
mark heaton
mark.heaton@hp.com