Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 1996 11:59:42 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using tar

> On Sun, 11 Aug 1996 patl@asimov.volant.org wrote:
> > An arguably better way to copy an entire directory tree within a single
> > machine is:
> >
> > 	cd <source_dir>
> > 	find . -depth -print | cpio -pdmv <dest_dir>
>
> You aren't the first person to point that method out (Joerg told me about
> it too) but I hadn't had any argument about it being 'arguably better'.
> Could/would you expand on that?

     I don't know if I'd call it better, but it does have the optional
advantage of being easy to filter/limit the files being copied (the
actual files, that is -- not the contents).  You can just insert some
sed or perl commands into the pipeline to edit the list of files being
copied.  I've occasionally used this technique to copy source trees, but
not any object files, archives, etc..

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.