Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:44:42 -0500
From:      Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org>
To:        plcplc@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, "David S. Madole" <david@madole.net>
Subject:   Re: Strange keyboard (viral?) behaviour

On 06/12/06 14:17, Philip Lykke Carlsen wrote:
> mandag 12 juni 2006 20:48 skrev du:
>> Philip Lykke Carlsen wrote:
>>> Hm. A little more research seems to have narrowed it down a bit.
>>>
>>> Apparently the text come from my sisters windows pc and is transmitted
>>> realtime to my freebsd machine, peculiar as it may sound. but at least
>>> now I have the means to look at the problem more carefully.
>>>
>>> But I am still at a loss as to explain how it continued typing even after
>>> I unplugged the network card (it's a laptop..), and how it was able to
>>> continue even in singleuser mode before the network had been properly set
>>> up (let alone plugged in at all).
>> Wireless keyboard on your sister's machine and your laptop just happens
>> to have a compatible receiver built-in?
>>
>> David
>
> Hm. now that you mention it, that does seem probable.
>
> And sure enough.. looking closer, the typing stops when I unplug the usb
> wireless mouse/keyboard reciever.. it's just.. it has never happened before
> now.. and we've been using this setup for ages.. and I never had quite this
> success in keyboard transmitting range.. 10 meters at least and through at
> least four solid brick and steel walls..
> hm.. i guess disabling usb-keyboards via devfs.rules or by removing the
> support from the kernel would solve the problem.
>
> But thanks very much.
> very much indeed :-D
>
> hm.. I wonder why I didn't at least consider the possibility of it being the
> wireless keyboard..

I'm curious....
Originally you said it was playing back YOUR previous GAIM conversation.
  Then above you mention "real time text" from your sister's pc.  If it
is the former... your sister's pc may have a keylogger on it, no?  And
may require some investigation.

Either way, now (with wireless keyboard)... the keylogger only needs to
be near your machine, not installed on it.  :S