Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 1998 09:49:00 +0800
From:      Tian Siyuan <tsy@iist.unu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, tsy@iist.unu.edu
Subject:   help - installation on a old PC with limited hard disk space

Dear FreeBSD,

I am very interested in this famous free software. I tried to install it
on an old PC with 8 M RAM and 82M hard disk space. I read in the
hankbook and the FAQ on your home page. It says the 80M is the minimal
and 20M for root is enough with a boot manager. So, I partition the hard
disk in this way:

/        22M
swap 16M (=2*RAM size)
/var    44M

And boot the machine with a floopy containing the 2.2.7 boot.flp and try
to intall the OS via FTP (the Primiary site). I select express
installation and minimal type. And I select only bin (required) in the
package list. But after around 37 of 76 chunks trabsferred. It says that
"/mnt write failed, file system is full ...

Could you give me some hints to circumvent it? Or I can not install it
on this PC?

many thanks,

--
Tian Siyuan