Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2013 18:28:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: backups using rsync

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> So, um, I was reading about this last night, but I was sleepy and my eyes
> glazed over... Please remind me, what is the exact procedire for turning
> off the journaling?   I boot to single user mode (from a live cd?) and
> then what?  Is it tunefs with some special option?

Just boot in single user mode so all the filesystems are unmounted or
mounted readonly.  Then use 'tunefs -j disable /dev/...'.  It will also
mention the name of the journal file, which can be deleted.

>> Use the latest net/rsync port, and enable the FLAGS option.  I use these
>> options, copying each filesystem individually:
>>
>> -axHAXS --delete --fileflags --force-change
>
> Hummm... I guess that I have some non-current rsync installed.  In the man
> page I have there is no mention of any "--force-change" option.  What does
> it do?

"affect user/system immutable files/dirs".  Probably only included in
the man page when the port is built with the FLAGS option set.

An additional note: the script that runs my rsync backup also modifies
the mirrored /etc/fstab to use the appropriate labels for the backup
filesystems.