Date:      Mon, 23 Jan 2006 15:58:08 -0500
From:      resonant evil <air.lightz@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Novice user with really easy question regarding atheros compatibility on 3com wireless card

Hi all.. Novice user, but I love BSD and any free OS compared to Windows,
but I have a pretty easy question regarding a card I am about to go out and
purchase.

Right now I have a Dell D600 Laptop which uses a Broadcomm BCM4306 wireless
card (which makes setting up wireless a REAL pain under any OS other than
Windows.)  I am totally sick and tired of always having to use a NDISwrappe=
tool to use 3rd Party windows drivers, so I want to go out and buy a much
better wireless card that will work without me having to do so much manual
configuration..  I just want the thing to be detected and ready to go when =
install things like FreeBSD or Linux..  (Obviously mainly FreeBSD)

So I visited the hardware compatibility list at
www.freebsd.org/releases/and checked for cards with the ath(4)
compatibility (EVERYONE on #freebsd on
irc.freenode.net reccomended getting an Atheros card).. My selection of
cards here in Canada is quite limited, but luckily according to the hardwar=
compatibility list it says "3COM 3CRPAG175"

Here at my local store I was able to find THIS CARD:
http://www.compusmart.com/Product/Default.aspx?CatalogID=3D0&SupplierPartNo=
=3D334098&ShowStoreInv=3DTrue

But the Part # has an additional letter than the one on the compatibility
list!  This PART # is "3COM 3CRPAG175B" (note the extra B on the end)..  No=
generally I would think that it wouldn't or shouldn't make a difference and
its probably just a revision or something, but this is alot of money to blo=
on a card if it isn't backwards compatible.

I desperately need a bit of help knowing if this card is going to compatibl=
with ath before I go out and drop $119 on it, so if ANYONE could help get
the information or the answer I need it would be GREATLY appreciated

Thank you so much in advance, I really appreciate help on groups like this
as a new user :)

Seeya
-Ryan