Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 1999 11:28:40 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Paul D . Schmidt" <pds@uberhacker.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum volume corrupted

On Thursday,  7 October 1999 at 19:21:55 -0500, Paul D . Schmidt wrote:
> Hi, my vinum volume git corrupted somehow, but I don't seem to be able to
> get it back....
>
> can't fsck it:
> # fsck /dev/vinum/rbigdrive
> ** /dev/vinum/rbigdrive
>
> CANNOT READ: BLK 59113504
> CONTINUE? [yn] y
>
> THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 59113504, 59113505, 59113506, 59113507,
> /dev/vinum/rbigdrive: NOT LABELED AS A BSD FILE SYSTEM (unused)
>

> I always get this error when I boot up too:
> vinum: loaded
> Can't open history file /var/tmp/vinum_history: No such file or directory (2)
>
> Also, my system takes a really long time to halt, too...could it be because
> vinum isn't dying properly?  Should there be a vinum stop in rc.shutdown
> or something?

No.  I don't know why your system takes a long time, but I'm pretty
sure it isn't because of Vinum.

> I believe I read how to set this up in the freebsd diary, but it
> didn't say anything about how to stop vinum, just how to start
> it....

Well, the FreeBSD diary isn't exactly the definitive description of
Vinum.  That's what man pages are for.  To stop vinum, you enter the
command (wait for it) 'vinum stop'.  But you don't need to do it
before a reboot.

> Here is the output of vinum list:
> Configuration summary
>
> Drives:		1 (4 configured)
> Volumes:	1 (4 configured)
> Plexes:		1 (8 configured)
> Subdisks:	2 (16 configured)
>
> D a                     State: up	Device /dev/wd1e	Avail: 12409/12409 MB (99%)
> D b                     State: referenced	Device 	Avail: 0/0 MB
>
> V bigdrive              State: up	Plexes:       1	Size:         28 GB
>
> P bigdrive.p0         C State: corrupt	Subdisks:     2	Size:         28 GB
>
> S bigdrive.p0.s0        State: up	PO:        0  B Size:         12 GB
> S bigdrive.p0.s1        State: crashed	PO:       12 GB Size:         16 GB

From vinum(4):

     crashed         A subdisk entry which has been created completely.  All
                     fields are correct, the disk has been updated, and the
                     data was valid, but since then the drive has gone down.
                     No attempt has been made to write to the subdisk since
                     the crash, so the data is valid.

The problem you have here is that your drive b isn't being found on
the system.  Where is it located?  Are the contents still valid?  Take
a look at vinum(4) and look at the on-disk configuration.

Greg