Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2007 03:18:52 -0300
From:      Alejandro Pulver <alepulver@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Anton Yudin <contact@toha.org.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-ports-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/115717: New port: java/exist, eXist is an Open Source native XML database

--Sig_R=6jOwEMwMJc3ZzuxL92hqp

Hello.

The port's wrapper script doesn't stop the application (however if you
run shutdown.sh without parameters it works), and can't determine when
it's running. This could just be a problem with the arguments. But may
be solved with the solution below (javaservicewrapper).

There are two ways of determining if a process is running: by a PID
file or process name. In this case the process name should be used, but
it's '[java]' so can't be differentiated from others.

I saw something interesting called Java Service Wrapper, it's like a
"daemon launcher" for Java programs. This program is integrated in
eXist, but only has Linux/Windows binary versions, that's why I've
created a port sysutils/javaservicewrapper. Then the port could depend
on it and symlink the binaries replacing the Linux ones, and eXist
wouldn't notice it.

The reason for using javaservicewrapper is that it creates a PID file
when launching the daemon, which could be used in the rc.d script. And
also provides all the needed functions (start, stop, status, etc) as an
rc.d script itself.

I will be out the next week, if you haven't found a solution then, I'll
look at it (should be easy though, but I'm preparing for the travel).

Best Regards,
Ale