Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 18:09:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Phoenix <dphoenix@bravenet.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: test

I am new to this list and was wondering if anyone could offer some insight
to a problem I am having. This involves apache-php and nfs mounts.
We are apparently getting timeouts occasionally on the nfs mount the
apache deamon reads from ...some forum cache images we have, they are on
an nfs mount. Now it will get so bad that httpd will cease to function
and even a kill -9 <pid> won't kill it....I have to restart the machine.
Different things I have tried.....changed the nfs mount to tcp with the -i
interruptable option...this goes to a nfs solaris server so don't even
think the -i works. I have tried compiling apache without mmap support
...that did not work either. I have even forced nfs to version 2
...nothing again. I am running out of ideas. Anyone?

Funny thing is the linux boxes serving apache on same subnet ...I have
never had this problem with. I looked at linux's client nfs code and they
default to version to unless forced to 3..vice versa for freebsd.....

but putting freebsd at version 2 did not help so I am outta ideas.....
approx 35 machines connecting to the one nfs solaris box...problem right
now is we need more ram in the sun box....my theory on why some timeouts
occur.......anyone have similar situation with apache and nfs?

---
Dan

| -----	    Daniel Phoenix	Mail to:dan@bravenet.com	    |	|