Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 1995 19:35:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@seagull.rtd.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   user id's

Greetings!
     This may be a "silly" question, but I haven't found a "silly"
answer in a cursory examination of the sources...
     Re:  FBSD 1.1.5.1R (but I suspect *all* *BSD's)
     I (unfortunately) mix upper and lower case in user id's.
I've noticed that a few id's which consist solely of uppercase
characters are prompted for a password (even tho' a password is
not required for the user)  ONLY ON THE FIRST ATTEMPT.  A subsequent
attempt (after "illegal password") will accept the uppercase login.
I imagine this is due to the support for "single-case" only
terminals (in which the uppercase chars are converted to lowercase
and, since no such user exists, the "Password:" prompt is issued).
    However, it ONLY HAPPENS WITH CERTAIN ID's.  I have several
other all uppercase id's and they are accepted first-time, every-time.
    Ideas?  Pointers??
   Thx, --don