Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 1998 11:33:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystr.RWSystems.net>
To:        Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail - low on space

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Jeff Lynch wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, James Wyatt wrote:
> > btw: One of our customers uses a 500MB /var/spool/mail filesystem. We had
> > user send a 44MB MIME message that that filled a disk at another company.
> > That sendmail sent us bounce messages saying 'disk full, burp' and sending
	[ .. deleted ... ]
> In your .mc file:
> define(`confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE', `10000000')dnl
>
> For 10MB limit. No one complains about this and it prevents most of
> the problems.

For some, yes, but I have too many business users using Notes(tm) mail
(for the moment, he he) and sending spreadsheets and documents to other
companies in the 20MB range. I have aprox. 9000 OS/2 and NT workstations
and only one MX server, they win by vote count. 8{) Since we like ESMTP, I
have considered limiting messages to 50MB. The problem was when we got a
*lot* of big messages. It is more of an annoying feature than a bug. Like
wanting to use a fire hose to fill a bathtub. Works great if you don't
leave it on long!

James (jwyatt@rwsystems.net, jim@rwsys.lonestar.org) KA5VJL
We do unix, NT, MVS, OS/2 and soon... VMS! No longer do CP/M, MP/M, Guardian