Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 10:26:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        michaelv@HeadCandy.com (Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com)
Cc:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, michael@memra.com, hdalog@zipnet.net, dror@hopf.dnai.com, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ERROR info:747d9d asc:11,0 Unrecovered read error, other SCSI issues

Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> >As Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote...
> >> That would be hard to believe, considering that Quantum drives ship in
> >> some HP Workstations, among others...
>
> >And in lots of Digital Equipment machines...
> >In general: I have yet to hear of a manufacturer that never has 'junk'
> >drive types every now and then.
>
> That has been my experience also, following these lists and Usenet.
>
> I think I have heard of bad runs of drives from every major
> manufacturer.  Especially the ones that try to push the limits, like
> newer 7200rpm drives.

My experience with Quantum drives has been limited to the LP240S,
LP570S, and PD700S drives which I use for testing purposes.  (Well,
I also own a number of the DEC DSP series drives that are now made
by Quantum, but I guess I don't think of them as Quantums.)  I will
say, that with of these particular models, they are usually the
first drives to fail on a heavily loaded SCSI bus with a mix of
devices.  Seems to be an electrical thing, that they are more picky
about bus loading than the other devices I generally use.  Fact
is, I often take advantage of this ``feature'' of the drives while
testing, since I can count on them to intermittantly fail if I load
the bus up enough with other devices.  :-)

--
Bob Willcox
bob@luke.pmr.com