Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 17:43:20 -0400
From:      mccarty <amccarty@pacbell.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   customer dissatisfaction

------=_NextPart_000_0082_01BFEF4D.54E865A0

=20
Dear Sirs:

=20

I am very disturbed by the growing trend towards institutionalizing =
pornography as part of mainstream American culture, and the increasingly =
easy access to children of just about anything one can or can't imagine. =
 Why is Yahoo providing infrastructure to support this?  I can only =
surmise - for the same reason ATT acquired the rights to distribute XXX =
pornographic films over the internet on Xcite@Home (now I understand why =
they named it xcite@home?) - pure profits.

I'm not trying to take a public stand on whether some or all forms of =
pornography should be legal, etc.  My main areas of concern are the =
following:

1)  The issue of accessibility is a serious problem.  After a few =
keystrokes, a 10 year old can  click on a button that says he's 18 and =
can get free access to thousands of samples of ANY KIND OF PORNOGRAPHIC =
MATERIAL.  Regardless of whether you think pornography is good, immoral, =
or should be illegal, I think most people would agree that it is not a =
healthy thing for kids to get drawn into.  Access to physical forms of =
pornography are restricted (e.g., magazines, videos, sex clubs), either =
geographically, or be physical access restrictions, or both.  Access to =
electronic formats, including some truly abominable stuff, is virtually =
unrestricted.  There is a large quantity of EXTREME and potentially even =
illegal material available FREE on the internet.  It would be an =
understatement to say I believe this is having a negative effect on the =
emotional development of the world's children.

2)  Yahoo! is providing a playground for sexual predators.  Yahoo =
tolerates (encourages?) these sex clubs because they generate revenue.  =
The sex clubs exist ostensibly to provide a forum for public discussion =
of adult topics.  In practice, they are just advertisements and/or links =
to pornography sites, and watering holes for child molestors and other =
sexual predators.  And I believe the easy access and ubiquity helps =
condition potential victim's to think of these kinds of sexual =
activities as "normal", lowers inhibitions, etc.

3)  The third big issue I have with all this is the MAINSTREAMING of =
this kind of stuff - the idea that Yahoo! and ATT are turning =
dissemmination of pornography int an acceptable profit-making activity =
for major US corporations, and expect that noone will blink an eye.  No, =
I'm sorry, but I don't think pornography should be commercialized and =
institutionalized.  Guess what, if this trend continues, I bet the kids =
won't be trading Pokemon cards at the playground much longer!

I plan to boycott Yahoo!  until something is done to correct this =
situation.  Companies that partner with Yahoo!  or pay to advertise on =
Yahoo!  should also understand that they are supporting this =
infrastructure with their advertising dollars as well.  Please consider =
your actions carefully.

=20

Sincerely,

=20

John McCarty

------=_NextPart_000_0082_01BFEF4D.54E865A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;
<P class=3DMsoSalutation style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0.5in">Dear Sirs:</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0.5in">&nbsp;<?xml:namespace =
prefix =3D o=20
ns =3D "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=3DMsoBodyText style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0.5in">I am very disturbed =
by the=20
growing trend towards institutionalizing pornography as part of =
mainstream=20
American culture, and the increasingly easy access to children of just =
about=20
anything one can or can't imagine.&nbsp; <B>Why is Yahoo providing=20
infrastructure to support this?</B>&nbsp; I can only surmise - for the =
same=20
reason ATT acquired the rights to distribute XXX pornographic films over =
the=20
internet on <A href=3D"mailto:Xcite@Home">Xcite@Home</A> (now I =
understand why=20
they named it <A href=3D"mailto:xcite@home">xcite@home</A>?) - pure=20
profits.<BR><BR>I'm not trying to take a public stand on whether some or =
all=20
forms of pornography should be legal, etc.&nbsp; My main areas of =
concern are=20
the following:<BR><BR>1)&nbsp; The issue of accessibility is a serious=20
problem.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>After a few =
keystrokes, a=20
10 year old can <SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN>click on =
a button=20
that says he's 18 and can get free access to thousands of samples of ANY =
KIND OF=20
PORNOGRAPHIC MATERIAL.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; =
</SPAN>Regardless=20
of whether you think pornography is good, immoral, or should be illegal, =
I think=20
most people would agree that it is not a healthy thing for kids to get =
drawn=20
into.&nbsp; Access to physical forms of pornography are restricted =
(e.g.,=20
magazines, videos, sex clubs), either geographically, or be physical =
access=20
restrictions, or both.&nbsp; Access to electronic formats, including =
some truly=20
abominable stuff, is virtually unrestricted.&nbsp; There is a large =
quantity of=20
EXTREME and potentially even illegal material available FREE on the=20
internet.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>It would be an=20
understatement to say I believe this is having a negative effect on the=20
emotional development of the world's children.<BR><BR>2)&nbsp; Yahoo! is =

providing a playground for sexual predators.&nbsp; Yahoo tolerates =
(encourages?)=20
these sex clubs because they generate revenue.&nbsp; The sex clubs exist =

ostensibly to provide a forum for public discussion of adult =
topics.&nbsp; In=20
practice, they are just advertisements and/or links to pornography =
sites, and=20
watering holes for child molestors and other sexual predators.&nbsp; And =
I=20
believe the easy access and ubiquity helps condition potential victim's =
to think=20
of these kinds of sexual activities as "normal", lowers inhibitions,=20
etc.<BR><BR>3)&nbsp; The third big issue I have with all this is the=20
MAINSTREAMING of this kind of stuff - the idea that Yahoo! and ATT are =
turning=20
dissemmination of pornography int an acceptable profit-making activity =
for major=20
US corporations, and expect that noone will blink an eye.&nbsp; No, =
I&#8217;m sorry,=20
but I don't think pornography should be commercialized and=20
institutionalized.&nbsp; Guess what, if this trend continues, I bet the =
kids=20
won't be trading Pokemon cards at the playground much longer!<BR><BR>I =
plan to=20
boycott Yahoo! <SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN>until =
something is=20
done to correct this situation.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;=20
</SPAN>Companies that partner with Yahoo!&nbsp; or pay to advertise on =
Yahoo!=20
<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN>should also understand =
that they=20
are supporting this infrastructure with their advertising dollars as =
well.<SPAN=20
style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Please consider your actions=20
carefully.</P>
<P class=3DMsoBodyText style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: =
0.5in">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=3DMsoBodyText style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0.5in">Sincerely,</P>
<P class=3DMsoBodyText style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: =
0.5in">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=3DMsoBodyText style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0.5in">John=20
McCarty</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0082_01BFEF4D.54E865A0--