Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 18:25:25 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netstat -r (fwd)

--==_Exmh_384379517P

If memory serves me right, Igor Roshchin wrote:

> Check the traceroute I pasted below - that router 10.0.232.27
> is not on my internal network. (I have NO private IP addresses).
> So, are you saying I need to have all 2^512  (18609625)  in my
> /etc/hosts file ????

No...it's just that you shouldn't ask Internet nameservers to resolve
address-to-name lookups for private networks.  HOWEVER, that said...

> traceroute to www.home.net (24.0.30.175), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets

...you're seeing a rather unfortunate, pathological case.  The 10/net
addresses in this case are a part of @Home which, for some reason that
completely eludes me, uses private addresses inside its backbone network.
Although you can't route to intermediate hosts, you can route to endsystems
inside the @Home network.  I imagine there's a reason for this, but it
violates the various RFCs that have already been cited.

I noticed this ever since I got an @Home connection, but it's not clear to me
who inside the organization would have enough of a clue to DTRT and fix it.

Bruce.

> PS. It would be nice to avoid receiving double e-mails, especially
> those which are not a direct response to my e-mail ...

PS.  It would be nice if people would keep me CC-ed on any threads I'm a part
of, because I use procmail to filter my mailing list mail into other folders.
Mail addressed directly to me drops into my spool, and I'm much more likely to
stay in a thread if its messages go *there*, rather than into a folder where I
might miss them among many others.

--==_Exmh_384379517P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNx/MBKjOOi0j7CY9AQGlvgP/aiwSaVMMrsZTddlxmTn8x5pJNPwADuhl
UL2HyGkIc8cNoP76TBvaW7jfFHwFfsv7IHrLIB+7qx1wixEhkO4dcWtqVG2duPM3
yasG1psp9iBF4oauC1xsCMHrB8gvO72o3K1DHeb6SHvxw1W9+Yc2hDnQjEak2QOn
6Ev1hzPvHig=
=JKD/
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_384379517P--