Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 23:09:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      RCB <rbeer@jaguar.cris.com>
To:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   General comments

I was not sure who specifically should receive this mail so I hope 'www'
will forward it to the right person/people!   Thanks!

I  started  using  FreeBSD in  early  8/95 (converted  from Linux when
things started getting flaky  with the elf  hacks in the 1.2.x  tree),
and went back to Linux (Caldera  CND-1.0) around 9/96 (for the Netware
connectivity and the accelerated X server in one package).  Last week,
I    purchased  Caldera OpenLinux  Base   1.0,   and  have been   very
disappointed   for  many reasons.   It is   very nice  getting back to
FreeBSD, to a stable and excellent performing system  and kernel.  All
of those responsible have my respect!  From my perspective, It boggles
my mind why Caldera selected Linux instead of FreeBSD.

The  biggest "issue" I ran  into was installing  FreeBSD  at home on a
2-SCSI disk system.   My first scsi  drive is  for Windows, my  second
scsi drive has FreeBSD  installed.  It was not clear  how to have  the
FreeBSD boot manager installed on the first SCSI drive and allow it to
boot either  the Win95 or  FreeBSD systems.  Reading  the handbook and
all associated documentation that I could  find did not help.  I ended
up going  out and purchasing   "System  Commander" which did  the  job
beautifully.  (FWIW, Redhat/Caldera LILO installation/configuration is
very clean and easy to set up such a dual boot system).

That is about it.   Again,  great work.  After  all the  headaches and
hours of wasted time due to  sloppy Linux distributions, poor testing,
and extensively bloated kernels, I think I'll stick with FreeBSD.

Thanks,
Rich