Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 1999 18:07:09 +1000
From:      obituary <c9710216@atlas.newcastle.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hyper-accelerated mouse in Q3Test

Does anyone know if Q3Test uses it's own internal mouse acceleration
code?  The game itself runs perfectly under FreeBSD but, unfortunately,
the mouse is unusable.  If I move the mouse *very* slowly I can achieve
correct movement, but if it's moved just a fraction too fast (and I'm
talking a distance of 1cm or so on the mousemat) the screen whips 70
degrees in the direction the mouse was moved.  It appears to be hitting
some sort of acceleration threshold.

The behaviour really is quite strange.  I adjusted the mouse sensitivity
at the Q3Test console to a value of "0.05".  This allowed me semi-smooth
movement -- it only jumps about 15-20 degrees at a time...

The machine is a 4.0-CURRENT box and I use scrolly-wheel PS/2 mouse (the
scrolly-wheels don't function under X, though).

Things I've done to try and rectify the problem:

Tried using both /dev/psm0 and /dev/sysmouse as mouse devices for X.
Tried adjusting the mouse acceleration under X (using xset).
Tried adjusting the sensitivity in the Q3Test console.
Tried setting the parameter "+set in_dgamouse 0" when starting the game.

Mouse input is fine for X and other games like Quake II.

As a side note, whenever I use the mouse (be it in X, at the console, in
Quake II, etc) using the /dev/psm0 device I get errors "psmintr out of
sequence" or something similar.  I'm using the /dev/sysmouse device at
the moment, but if anyone would like the exact error, let me know and
I'll switch it back.

-jake (obituary)		  	  Powered by FreeBSD
c9710216@atlas.newcastle.edu.au		http://www.freebsd.org