Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:44:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   WANTED: Beta-testers for new document preparation port

I've put together a port of YODL, a document-preparation utility, and
would like to have as many people as possible to build, install, and test
this port, before I officially submit it to the FreeBSD people.

If anyone wishes to help me, please contact me via E-mail, let me know an
appropriate E-mail address where I can send files to, and I will send you
the port's tarball (it isn't very big, less than 10k I think).

Briefly, here's what YODL is:

It is a high-level document preparation language.  It includes translators
that will translate from this language, into a variety of formats,
including SGML, HTML, (La)TeX, dvi, and man.

The idea here is that you write ONE source file for the document you want.
You use macros (which look like C function calls) to do "special document
things", such as boldface a word, underline something, add a footnote, or
create a URL.  For example:

- ---begin sample document---
My home page is located at
url(Donald's home page)(http://DonaldBurr.base.org/).
footnote(Yes, I have my own "vanity URL.")
- ---end sample document---

Once you have written this file, you can then run any number of conversion
programs on it.  These conversion programs will convert that file into an
appropriately-formatted file in one of several syntaxes (HTML, man,
(La)TeX, dvi, etc.).

All macros will be converted into their equivalents in whatever language
you are outputing to.  For example, if you are outputing to HTML, the
"url" macro in the example above will create a clickable (i.e. underlined)
URL.  But if you were converting it into a text file or a (La)TeX file,
for example (which does NOT support clickable URL's), the URL will just be
printed out in text (i.e. no information will be lost, no errors will be
generated...).

This is an excellent tool, especially if you must create and
maintain a lot of documentation (programmer, you write a lot of
reports, student, etc.) because you have to write and maintain only one
document, and can generate any type of output file from it, on-the-fly.
For example, if you were writing a program, you would only have to maintain
one document to document it.  From that one document, then, you can create:

* HTML, for inclusion in your Web page
* a man page, to install in the /usr/local/man directories when you build
and install the program,
* (La)TeX, to print out nicely on a printer, or to include with your
package's tarball,
..etc...

Again, if you're interested and would like to help test my port, please
e-mail me.

Thanks!

rg/).
footnote(Yes, I have my own "vanity URL.")
- ---end sample document---

This is an excellent tool because you have to write and maintain only one
document, and can generate any type of output file from it, on-the-fly.

- ---
Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.