Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2017 20:30:58 +0100 (CET)
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net
Cc:        eugen@grosbein.net, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, crest@rlwinm.de
Subject:   Re: Changes to route(8) or routing between r325235 and r326782?

> > > This is all done by correctly configured routing daemon
> > > running in userland over the route socket.
> >
> > Do we have such daemon maintaining directly connected routed in the base system?
>
> I believe we do, though it uses a fairly rare protocol now a days,
> called ripv2.  man routed   Both bird and quagga maintain these
> routes as well.  I believe that openospfd does too.  In fact
> I dont know of a routing daemon that does not try to maintain
> these.
>
> Also why does this need to ba a "in the base system"?  Certainly
> sticking a route decision in the kernel that defeats any attempt
> to change it makes that pointless anyway.

Being a router jockey at my daytime job I can symphatize with both
views here.

- I *expect* that a route pointing out an interface will disappear
when that interface goes down, and reappear again when the interface
comes back up. This behavior is extremely consistent across all the
major router brands.

- The standard FreeBSD behavior where a static route (added by a
manual "route add -net ...") does *not* reappear when an interface
comes back up, simply feels incredibly wrong and inconsistent.

But I also want the kernel to handle packet *forwarding*, and not
routing policy. I guess I'm looking for a a simplified routed which
will handle my static routes and can be turned on with a only an
xxx_enable in rc.conf and then basically forgotten.

If I want something more complicated (typically BGP) I'll install
quagga.