Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 10:40:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A few StarOffice related questions

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> 	Originally having overlooked the thread in multimedia concerning
> StarOffice, I went back into the archives and re-read all of the messages,
> and haven't seemed to come across answers for any of these, so I shall
> ask here.

A#1:  What version of libc do you have in /compat/linux/lib?  Stuff won't
work properly if you don't have the most recent libs.  I believe the
linux-lib-2.4 port is in, so you should be able to grab & install it from
ports-current.

> ====[ online help ]====
>
> 	svdaemon needs to be started to get online help...has anyone succeeded
> in getting this to work?  If I type 'svdaemon', it just sort of  hangs there,
> where I would have expected it to auto-background itself.  Not so big a
> problem, except that if I go to help/contents, I get nothing.  If I do a 'ps x'
> after doing this, I see:

[...]

The English help isn't available, so you get a nice note telling you to
try such and such website and blah...  so you aren't missing anything.
> 	I have a text based file that I want to load up into StarOffice
> and play around with formatting and whatnot.  If I go to open and try to
> load the file, I get an error of:
>
> 	Non-existent object
> 	Non-existent file
>
> 	So I can't seem to load the file.

I loaded a Word 6 file okay, so I can't help you.  Did you check
permissions?