Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:28:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        freebsd-atm@freebsd.org, takeda@rdd.soliton.co.jp
Subject:   Re: IDT NICSTAR based Adapter

Pat Barron <pat@transarc.com> sold me on the IDT adapter. He already
has a 25 Mbps adapter. I have 2 IDT 155 Mbps NICSTAR UTP adapters on back order
with a delivery date expected to be the first week of August. For those in the
market the 155 Mbps IDT adapter are priced around $400-450 US.

These evaluation boards use onboard SRAM for session table lookups only,
and the PDU reconstruction is done in the host memory using DMA. I am hoping to
reuse the PDU buffers as external mbufs to avoid the cost data copy.

I have read the "IDT77201 NICSTAR (tm) User Manual"
ftp://ftp.idt.com/pub/docs/3488.pdf a few times but have not started to
code. This document requires a real Adobe Acrobat viewer, and not the xpdf.
I converted the document to postscript if this would help anyone
(ftp://joy.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/local/3488.ps). This is 140+ pages and the
postscript is not viewable from ghostview :(.

--mark.