Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:35:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au (Andrew Reilly)
Cc:        rivers@dignus.com (Thomas David Rivers), dkelly@hiwaay.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS P2B-S and FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE

> On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 08:02:54PM -0800, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > we don't use the P2B-DS unless someone
> > really insists on it, we'd rather put an NCR 53C875 in it than sell
> > them the -DS.
>
> Why?  Price difference?  Performance reasons?  Reliability
Because :-)  Yes.          Yes.                  Yes.

> experience?

And defanitly yes.

Don't get me wrong, adaptec makes an okay product, but it is a) single
source, b) has had serious technical support nightmares over the years
c) they like to change the card base chip's without changing the model
and screwing us over (the 2940U to 2940AU did not change the order part
number, yet the hardware became less functional due to chip changes).
d) demand a price premium for very little to no performance gain over
53C8xx based cards. e) tend to be non open source freindly with thier
data (I should know, I have signed enough NDA's with Adaptec to make
me sick over the years, all the way back to 154x stuff)

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net