Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 15:24:56 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        dmaddox@conterra.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New PnP code does not work for me(?)

Peter Wemm wrote:

> "Donald J . Maddox" wrote:
> > Ok, will do.  Thanks.
> >
> > This may be a silly question, but...  The old PnP driver recognized
> > a lot of devices, including my AWE64.  Isn't there a list of IDs it
> > was aware of that should be merged into newPnP ASAP?
>
> The old PnP code was matching on the card vendor ID.  The new pnp code
> treats each logical device on it's own and matches by logical ID.

	The new architecture sounds like a good thing, but isn't there a way to
fall back to the old method if the logical device ID isn't found?
Perhaps with an error message asking the user to report the logical ID
to proper-mailing-list@freebsd.org? Of course I'm probably dreaming
here, but it seems to me that some kind of compromise should be
possible, since I tend to agree with Donald that "Working before + not
working now = broken," no matter how much "better" the broken version is
from the purity standpoint.

Doug
--
"Stop it, I'm gettin' misty."