Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2012 07:05:50 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: question about my new Dell 3010

--------------enig160B70C29CC5105C0B631276

On 10/12/2012 00:31, Gary Kline wrote:

>> > Do you have a DVI connector on your current graphics card, or just t=
he
>> > old style VGA connector?  Pretty much all modern widescreen monitors=

>> > will have a DVI connector as well as the legacy VGA.

> 	actually, I have both.  the KVM dates from 2010 and came with
> 	four cables and eight plugs. =20

Ahah!  You're using a KVM switch.  That can block the monitor from
sending its configuration information to the X server.  It's easy to
tell: just try connecting directly to the monitor temporarily.

If that works, you can use xrandr to extract the monitor details, write
a mode line for your xorg.conf and put the KVM back in the loop, while
keeping the optimum configuration.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20