Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 23:42:25 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        obrien@NUXI.com, hackers@freebsd.org, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: getopt.c in gnu/*/*

On Wed, 26 May 1999, W Gerald Hicks wrote:

> > It would be better to create src/gnu/lib/libgnugetopt/Makefile and point
> > ".PATH:" to the newest src file we have in the tree.  If some package
> > gets updated and there is a newer GNUgetopt(), then we change the
> > ".PATH:".  JDP suggested this is a cleaner way than extracting part of a
> > GNU package, and I have to agree with him.  (I am considering something
> > simular with libiberty and libbfd)
>
> Cygnus cautions against merging libiberty/libbfd from binutils with GDB.
>
> Never made sense to me tho...   :-)

I wish they would just split out the pieces and release them separately.
For what its worth, we are doing exactly this (using bfd from binutils
with gdb). It took some minor hacking to account for the fact the gdb
expects to be using approximately bfd 2.9.2. I expect to remove them
after I import binutils 2.9.2 which should happen not too long after its
released, depending on workload.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com