Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:30:31 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        amah@highpoint-tech.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Native Support?

Allen Mah wrote:
> Hi Chuck, I will let our customers know. If there are any changes to our
> IC's will this affect the loading of the driver?

Hard to say.  It probably depends on what the changes are.  :-)

> For example: If our 372 IC became 372N would the driver still load?

If the PCI ID remains the same, the driver will still load and behave the
same, yes.  Without more technical details-- what is the difference between a
"372 IC" and a "372N", anyway?-- I can't give you a more precise answer, sorry.

The person most directly responsible for supporting ATA hardware and ATA RAID
functionality in FreeBSD is Soren Schmidt, <sos@FreeBSD.org>.  If I haven't
been able to answer your questions adequately, then he would be the person to ask.

--
-Chuck

PS: Soren is also very busy; if you ask him to spend time discussing how well
FreeBSD supports a particular Highpoint product, it would be appreciated if
you could offer something in return.  That certainly doesn't mean you need to
compensate him for his time, nor does it necessarily mean that Highpoint
should send an evaluation unit to him-- although, frankly, if Highpoint would
like FreeBSD to support a new product to which Soren does not already have an
example of for testing, the latter would probably be quite helpful.

However, simply making the datasheet and specs available to Soren, or maybe
making an engineering type available for a few minutes to answer any technical
questions he might have about your products in return costs nothing, yet is
likely to benefit everyone concerned...