Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 2008 20:25:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca>
Cc:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: repair v.7 installation

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008, PJ wrote:

[...]

> 1. On boot up and just before the crash there were warnings of an
> "interrupt storm" whatever that may mean and then there are messages
> about bad file descriptor; and there is a WARNING / was not properly
> dismounted (obviously because of the hardware problem) and "init
> /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user
> mode....

Last time I saw a "bad file descriptor" it was due to disk problems
caused by a power hit since I had no UPS on that machine. In that case I
was able to recover using the manufacturer's utility ("seatools" for the
Seagate disk).

> 2. on bootup, there is a warning - /etc/rc WARNING run_rc_command:
> cannot run /usr/sbin/inetd
>
> 3. for login : in openpam_load_module (): no pam_opie.so found
>
> 4. login: pam_start(): system error
>
> 5. fsck gets wrong superblocks and cannot fix anything
>
> 6. When in single user mode, cannot access /usr or /var
>
> So, now I get the feeling that the installation is completely screwed.
> What I would like to recover is onle a bunch of files on the /usr
> partition like the web stuff for apache and some other files.

All of these things smell like disk problems to me. But what do I know.

> What are my options? is there a way I could access these files?

Booting from a live CD to recover your files to another drive has bee
suggested, and that's a good idea. Apart from that, I would try the
drive manufacturer's recovery tools before abandoning the system. Check
their website and see if they don't have a bootable ISO with some sort
of disk tools.

HTH, and good luck.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]