Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:39:04 -0800
From:      paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
To:        Philip Hallstrom <philip@eilio.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Motherboard survey...

On Nov 21, 2003, at 9:53 AM, Philip Hallstrom wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> 	I'm wanting to build my own computer to run FreeBSD, but don't
> have the slightest idea (well, maybe the slightest :) what motherboard
> buy.  I'd like one that has built-in lan/audio that works in FreeBSD,
> but
> in my searching efforts I've turned up very little.
>
> I know the handbook lists chip sets and whatnot, but trying to figure
> out
> what chip set is on a given board isn't always easy -- at least not
> for me.
>
> So... I wrote a survey app that I'm hoping lots of you will fill out.
> It
> let's you pick the brand/model of motherboard, then indicate what
> onboard
> features work (lan, audio, video, usb, firewire, ide, sata, scsi, raid,
> smp), lets you provide some overall "satisfaction" ratings, and then
> provide any additional comments.
>
> As a side effect you can input your laptop information which seems to
> be a
> frequently asked source of questions.
>
> If I get enough responses I'd like to expand this to include other
> things
> such as DVD players, USB peripherals, etc. that have varying levels of
> support in FreeBSD.  Perhaps turn it into a companion to the
> HARDWARE.TXT
> document...
>
> Anyway.. here it is:
>
> http://www.eilio.com/freebsd-motherboards/

This is very nice, and I think it will be helpful to a lot of people
who want to move to FreeBSD. I especially like the idea of laptop users
being able to contribute. This is a topic that has come up many times
on the mobile@ list and I think a structured form where components can
be detailed (works/broken) is a great idea.