Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:54:59 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>, alireza mahini <alirezamahini@yahoo.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is ther any debugger for c and c++ programs in freebsd4.4?

On Wednesday,  9 October 2002 at 13:36:07 -0700, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu> writes:
>
>> Please put your question in the body of your message and limit the
>> subject to jsut a title for your posting.
>> It will make it much easier for people to read your question and
>> to make a helpful response.
>
> I find it easier to read one question in the subject line and not have
> to read something (restated in question form?) in the body.

When you get a paper letter in an envelope, would you find it normal
to find just a signature on the paper and the real message written on
the back of the envelope underneath the name of the sender?

> Please explain your complaint further.  What is the problem?  Do
> people not read Subject lines?

I certainly read subject lines.  They help me decide whether I want to
read the message.  Once I read a message, I expect to find something
useful there.

> I'm suprised (and somewhat embarassed for FreeBSD) to see 3 out of 4
> responders jump on the guy about something that seems to me good, or
> at least no worse than trivially non-standard.

Certainly a little more help would be good.  But I suppose it's all a
matter of expectations.  In the Microsoft world, it seems that people
don't have a problem with text like this:

  Swearingen wrote:
  > Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu> writes:
  >
  >> Please put your question in the body of your message and
  limit the
  >> subject to jsut a title for your posting.
  >> It will make it much easier for people to read your
  question and
  >> to make a helpful response.
  >
  > I find it easier to read one question in the subject
  line and not have
  > to read something (restated in question form?) in
  the body.

(end of quotation).

It's almost as if people have flocked to abandon what they learnt in
school, because it's "cool" to have text scattered all over the place.

Greg