Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 09:20:23 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Default to starting xdm from /etc/ttys?

Hi folks,

The /etc/ttys on my out-of-the-box 2.2.7 system contains the following
entry:

| ttyv3	"/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"	xterm	off secure

This worries me, because the FreeBSD 2.X FAQ supplied on the same system
says:

| 9.6  How do I start XDM from the /etc/ttys file ?
|
| Starting xdm via /etc/ttys is a Bad Thing. I don't know why this
| crept into some README file.
|
| Start it from your rc.local (or even from a X.sh script in
| /usr/local/etc/rc.d), and be explicit about how it has to start.
| If this is your last action in rc.local, put a ``sleep 1'' behind,
| to allow xdm to properly daemonize before the rc shell exits.

I suspect that one of /etc/ttys and /usr/share/doc/FAQ needs to be
corrected.

I would like some feedback as to the reasoning behind the FAQ's
comments and any possible reasons that this has crept into /etc/ttys
regardless of the warning. Perhaps something changed in terms of
what is and isn't kosher?

Once I know what the story is, I'll be happy to send-pr, but I'd
rather not waste people's time until I know what's cutting.

Ciao,
Sheldon.