Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 23:39:08 -0500
From:      TrouBle <trouble@netquick.net>
To:        Allix Primus <alleve@idirect.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: OpenBSD, NetBSD vs FreeBSD ?

Hrmmm... Okay

I use both FreeBSD and OpenBSD, why... Because FreeBSD makes a great
high-level robust server platform, and OpenBSD makes a rock solid
out-of-the box security server, FreeBSD has more ports, OpenBSDs ports
tree is growing fashionably, OpenBSD is based on a complete code audit
for security, and includes alot of nice features. FreeBSD make a better
desktop since there are more applications in its ports tree, Both are
developed by a core team. Both are extremely stable. basically OpenBSD
is my firewall/proxy and FreeBSD is my Desktop/Server. Both are very
clean, and manageable, you can cvs the code for either daily and rebuild
your entire system. both run on x86 and Alpha platforms, i believe
OpenBSD also runs on a few more. either way bu choice, in preference, i
would have to say as a desktop/server platform FreeBSD gets the vote,
for Security, definatley OpenBSD. yet FreeBSD is also secure. OpenBSD is
just paranoid secure out of the box.

--
Windows 95 (win-DOH-z), n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical
shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system