Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 2002 16:23:18 -0700
From:      "Michael W. Collette" <metrol@metrol.net>
Subject:   Repost: PCMCIA card for Vaio, advice needed

Attempted sending this message through the newsgroup gateway on
mailing.freebsd.mobile to see if that worked.  Seeing as how I've seen no
replies, I'll assume that it didn't.  Sending this out again as a real
E-Mail.  Man, I have really got to get my mailing lists organized here!

Original Post:
Got a friend here with a Sony Vaio laptop.  An old one.  No built in
ethernet, and I know the modem isn't going to enjoy support.  With all that
in mind, as he wanted to give a shot at leaving the world of Windows 98
viruses behind I decided on giving Suse Linux a shot.

The initial run up of Suse works really outstanding.  ADSL and PPPoE setup
like a dream with a Xircom RBEM56G-100 card.  Everything else played out
beautifully as well.  Them folks have got one sharp installer.

Since this was version 7.3, it only had KDE2 on there.  I up and got the
notion that all I'd have to do is pull down Suse's RPM's and just upgrade
it to KDE3.  2 days later, and I would have rather spent the time getting a
root canal.  Getting any software to upgrade with these RPM's is an
exercise in chasing down "libobscure.so.42" over and over again.  In short,
my frustration has exceeded my patience.

I'm now at a cross road.  I'd love to just get FreeBSD on there, but I'm
clueless as to which PCMCIA card out there will be fully supported for both
ethernet and modem.  It's that, or I end up purchasing a copy of Suse 8.0
and having their fancy installer handle upgrading the apps.  I'm not so hot
on doing this, as I'd be in the exact same place with application upgrades.

Thanks,
--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark
to read."