Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:09:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@watson.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.berkeley.edu>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAE (was Re: bus_dmamem_alloc_size())

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Julian Elischer wrote:

:
:
:On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, David Schultz wrote:
:
:> Thus spake Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>:
:> > David Schultz wrote:
:> > > Thus spake Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>:
:> > > > "Andrew R. Reiter" wrote:
:> > > > > Anyone know the status of PAE in fBSD?  I heard rumors awhile back that
:> > > > > people had patches, or Y! had patches... but has anyone actually coughed
:> > > > > them up?
:> > > >
:> > > > Contact Paul Saab.
:> > >
:> > > A year ago, the rumor was that DG was eventually going to do it.
:> > > Six months ago it was Peter Wemm.  And now Paul Saab?!  Sheesh.
:> > > Why don't we just wait another few years so 64-bit machines solve
:> > > all our problems and we don't have to hack up the VM system?  ;-)
:> >
:> > PSE36 is more intelligent than PAE, but neither one are very smart;
:> > they were put there by hardware people who thought that what software
:> > people wanted was more processes in RAM, not more RAM in individual
:> > processes.  As such, they are a generally bad idea.  Most people
:> > asking the question seem to have bought into the hardware people's
:> > picture of the universe, without understanding that.  8-(.
:>
:> More specifically, they are the same people who brought us bank
:> switching at least twice in the past, and lo and behold it still
:> isn't a very good idea.
:
:The reason for PAE is simple.
:
:Disk caches need not be in mapped memory. Physical memory will do.
:If you want to cache more than  4GB, then PAE is an effective answer.
:
:(Assuming I have my TLAs the right way around..)
:
:

Ya, well Im glad you brought that up, b/c aside from the anti-PAE rants
that have been coming across (which are of ZERO USE -- THX FOR THAT),  I
do believe there are uses for it.   I am glad to hear that someone is on
it :)  Thanks to them and those who organized the project for it.

Cheers,
Andrew

--
Andrew R. Reiter