Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 22:53:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        mark@quickweb.com (Mark Mayo)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HD failure; possible causes??

> Hi all. Well, this weekend I had a couple of CCD disk arrays go belly up,
> and I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with multiple disks
> crashing at once.
>
> Originally I thought one of the disks in the pair had crashed, but when I
> sent the drives to a data recovery place the guy informed me that both
> disks were pooched - both of them had the heads physically touch the
> media, destroying the platters and all data of course.

Your expert sounds like he is full of B.S. when he says to look at
your motherboard as a possible cause.  Plain and simple fact that an
electronic device can not cause a physical failure of a disk drive.

Vibration, shock, or another physical thing happened here if 2 drives
in the same chassis died at the same time with the same ``heads hit
the platter'' failure mode, no doubt about it in my mind at all.

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD