Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 08:36:42 +0000
From:      Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
To:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
Cc:        "'Hisako Majima'" <majima@acsu.buffalo.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   MAX GID number 2

I have asked same kind of question to the list too,
but mine was about UIDs.

I got the same answer about 32bit unsigned integer but
there is one limiting factor I believe!

The nobody:nogroup is 65533 65534 (or something like that)
so there should not be any user after nobody user is not it?

For example I created a test user and tried to set the uid and gid to
1000000 and I got this reply (I used chfn)

chfn: 1000000 > max uid value (65535)
chfn: 1000000 > max gid value (65535)
chfn: updating the database...
pwd_mkdb: 1000000 > max uid value (65535)
pwd_mkdb: 1000000 > max gid value (65535)
chfn: done

But I logged in with test user and everything was fine..
the only thing was I was not able to create files or dirs in my
home directory. then I made chown test:test test
and I started to be able to write there (even though before making
chown the group and the owner of the dir was the test user and test group

I could not try the quota since I do not have quotas enabled here...
But there are some programs which does not support bigger UIDs then 65535
for sure!

Evren