Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:05:39 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Aleksey Zvyagin <zal@ping.ru>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About FreeBSD securelevel

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 11:03:34PM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:
>=20
> These are well-known vulnerabilities that have been discussed in detail
> previously: it is widely recognized that securelevels are a flawed scheme
> that (in effect) attempts to be a subset of a mandatory integrity policy +
> some diminished privilege availability.  The securelevel(8) man page
> should be updated to indicate that it is not supported, and recent commits
> to enable the securelevel in sysinstall's higher security profiles should
> be reverted.  The securelevel functionality is inherited from BSD 4.4lite.

Well, even though securelevel doesn't prevent security breaches, it
imposes a road block in order to get around them, and this can and
does stop some (admittedly not very bright) attackers.  Since it's
also the best we have for now, I think the manpage should be updated
to document the failings of the system and that they will hopefully be
addressed in 5.0 with the trustedbsd MAC implementation.  I'll try and
write something up over the weekend.

Kris

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm--