Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 21:52:37 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Bryon Lape <blape@grey-net.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Confusion and no work

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Bryon Lape wrote:

> I found everything about your "documentation" confusing.  It was very
> hard to find the files I needed.  And then, once I got the boot
> floppies created, all I get is an ok prompt since kernel and
> kernel.old aren't around.

	Hello Bryon!  I'm sorry to hear that you found it difficult.
	Below is the methods I use to create FreeBSD install floppies.
	This is documented in more detail in the FreeBSD handbook at
	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install-guide.html but
	this is the short version.

	Create FreeBSD floppies from a Windows machine:

	1)  Get the utility to make the floppies, fdimage.exe from:

		ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools/fdimage.exe

	2)  Get the 2 floppy images (kern.flp and mfsroot.flp) from:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.1-RELEASE/floppies/kern.flp
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.1-RELEASE/floppies/mfsroot.flp

	3) Insert the 1st floppy in floppy drive and drop to a DOS prompt:

		C:\Windows\Desktop\fdimage.exe kern.flp a:

		This will put the kern.flp image on your floppy, which
		will be the 1st disk you will boot with.  This is probably
		your problem.

		Once that is done, insert your 2nd floppy and type:

		C:\Windows\Desktop\fdimage.exe mfsroot.flp a:

		This will put the mfsroot.flp image on the second floppy,
		which will be your second disk to insert (when prompted
		by the install).

	That's it! Stick your kern.flp floppy in your floppy drive and
	reboot!
	On a Unix machine:

	1) Find the utility to format the floppy.  On FreeBSD, this is
	the fdformat command. Format the floppy:

		# fdformat -f 1440 /dev/rfd0

	This will change a bit depending on the UNIX machine you are on.

	2) Get the 2 floopy images from the FreeBSD site:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.1-RELEASE/floppies/kern.flp
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.1-RELEASE/floppies/mfsroot.flp

	3) Use the dd command to copy the downloaded files to the floppy:

		# dd if=kern.flp of=/dev/rfd0

	Repeat step #1-3 to do the same for the mfsroot.flp image,
	substituting in the appropriate information.

	That's it! Stick your kern.flp floppy in your floppy drive and
	reboot!

Nick Rogness
- Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.