Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 1995 19:44:06 +0300
From:      Kai Vorma <vode@snakemail.hut.fi>
To:        Lars Gerhard Kuehl <lars@elbe.desy.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: dlmalloc

Lars Gerhard Kuehl writes:

 > Does that mean your Xserver is faster with gnumalloc() rather
 > than with standard malloc(). I've always encountered just the opposite.

Okay, not faster, but it used memory better. Try xv with standard
malloc, then dlmalloc and finally GNU-malloc. With standard malloc xv
grows until it hits datasize limit (16MB) and dies (usually after 10
or so big jpegs). With dlmalloc xv's VZS was about 15MB after last
picture of that particular set and with GNU malloc it was about 11MB.

The GNU malloc is only malloc I know that can release memory back to
the system so it won above contest. It can also be _very_ slow in some
situations because it performs many more sbrk calls than others.

 > Until now I've neither checked it with dlmalloc() nor compiled a profiled
 > kernel (for it's very likely a general VM problem independent of the
 > particular malloc implementation, the time is obviously spent in page
 > allocation). I'll do that probably not before next weekend.

dlmalloc is very fast (about as fast as the BSD-malloc) and uses
memory efficiently. I mailed some benchmark results some time ago to
this list - see mail archives.

..vode