Date:      Tue, 24 Dec 1996 09:55:31 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
Cc:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org

> Regarding the maillist search engine, what's an acceptable machine
> load for FreeBSD's www service?

Well, the less the better, but I think we should go for functionality
first and worry about load later.  If it turns out we have a really
nice solution but load on freefall is unacceptable, we can simply find
another machine to host www.freebsd.org.  I have several which could
go into freebsd.org service now (and the machine "streamer" is
completely unused).

> - What's the timeframe the typical search user needs? Always back to the
>   1994?

Back to the earliest date for which we have archive data, I guess.
I'm not even sure if we still have '94s data, though that would
certainly make interesting reading if we did. :)

> - How much lists are usually searched in parallel? Should one optimize
>   for the hackers/questions/current -at-once case?

I think that would be prudent - most people search multiple lists at once.

> Where are the apache log files, BTW?

Usual place (for Apache log files): /usr/local/www/server/logs

					Jordan