Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2018 13:29:05 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn@gmail.com>
To:        Phil Norman <philnorm@gmail.com>
Cc:        Meowthink <meowthink@gmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help diagnose my Ryzen build problem

On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 10:13:10 +0200
Phil Norman <philnorm@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have a similar setup: Ryzen 3 and Fatal1ty X370 mini-ITX. I had some
> trouble with instability, although my problems weren't panics, but rather
> two issues. One was random lockups (with no evidence left in logs), but I
> *think* this was down to an inadequately cooled graphics card.

I had instability problems with my Ryzen 5 - lockups for no
apparent reason.  The only recourse waas a hard reset.

It turned out that there were two causes
1) old CPU microcode
2) unhandled errate in the CPU

I installed the /usr/ports/sysutils/devcpu-data port, which
allowed me to install the latest microcode using cpucontrol(8).

I also used a shell script called amd_errata.sh provided by one of
the FreeBSD committers.  To my shame I can't remember exactly
who.  Note that the errata fixups are now part of the kernel in
FreeBSD 12.

After taking these steps about two months ago I have had no more
lockups and the machine runs very stabily.

[big snip]

--
Gary Jennejohn