Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:18:21 -0600
From:      "Darren R. Davis" <drdavis@calderasystems.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Scm486@aol.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape Bus Error

Nate Williams wrote:

> > Does anyone know what "Bus Error" means from Netscape?
>
> It means that the program has a bug in it that caused it to write/read
> from memory that it invalid.
>
> This can happen is you try to read from free'd memory, or write to NULL
> pointers, etc.....
>
> It can also happen if a program assumes a routine uses a particular
> implementation, and that implementation changes w/out an API change (say
> a shared library update), the program may be doing something 'illegal'
> that once worked.
>
> In short, it's a netscape bug....
>
> Nate

I believe that a Bus Error is specifically referencing miss aligned data vs
segmentation violation
(SIGSEGV) which is accessing data that is either free'd or not yours, etc.
I always thought
it strange on an Intel processor, since this was more a 68K/RISC thing.
The only penalty on Intel
was taking many more cycles to complete.  Of course I haven't looked that
deeply at what the
code handling for the bus error signal really detects.  But, never the
less, it is still a Netscape bug.

Darren