Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:34:35 -0800
From:      Phoenix Yuan <sfupy@shaw.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   What's the proper way to use ctags?

Hi,

Let say I want to quickly browse through all the source files in a given
directory. What I tried was I ran ctags -R source_dir, which builds a
tag file for the entire source. When I start vim in that directory and
view files in the sub directories, tag works just fine. But when I go
into other directory(outside of vim), since there is no tag file there,
I can't use the tag feature anymore.

I could ran ctag in all sub directories, but then I won't be able to
search for functions that are define outside of the sub directory. So
what's the proper way to use ctag?

PS: anybody know how to redefine the ctag path for vim? I downloaded the
latest from source forge but my admin said I can't replace the one in
/usr/bin...

thanks!