Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 1997 21:38:52 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quiet SCSI disk?

> > [about the 4GB DCAS 34330W]
> >
> > >Do you know how many tags it uses (tagged command queuing) ?
> > >It was a bit disappointing for me, that the IBM DORS 32160 2.1GB
> > >only offers 3 and the the famous QUEUE_FULL condistion ...

Wait! How to I querry the drive, kernel, SCSI card, etc, to know how
many tags are being used? Is this a value which changes dynamically
as the system is running?

Others have mentioned the Symbios cards and Adaptec cards. How does
this relate? Is one clearly superior to the other in this respect?
The clues I've gleaned from these lists in the past suggest the Symbios
cards are as good as Adaptecs best, but not as agressively supported
in FreeBSD as the Adaptec 2940 family. Notably the Symbios cards
currently lack support for Ultra SCSI timing. The Adaptec 3940 has
an advantage in large systems such as ftp.cdrom.com by providing dual
SCSI buses on one PCI card.

Next week I was planning on ordering 7 or 8 Symbios '875 cards for
5 systems I need to set up. Still plan on ordering them as I wasn't
terribly pleased when my last 2940AU only had 3 SCB's.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net