Date:      Fri, 28 May 2004 13:35:37 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Robert Downes <nullentropy@lineone.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: buildworld actually crashed

Robert Downes wrote:
> During buildworld, I wandered off. When I returned, my machine was,
> alarmingly, in single user mode, demanding that I run fsck manually.
>
> I'm running fsck right now, and it's finding all sorts of block size
> errors, to which I'm simply hitting 'y' and agreeing that things should
> be salvaged and corrected.
>
> Before running fsck, I had a look at the buildworld.out script that was
> being written to during the buildworld process. I can't tell you exactly
> what it says, but it definitely came to a stop in the middle of a
> 'sentence' of output. I.e. it looks like my new machine (yeah, the
> soon-to-be-fanless EPIA again) must have crashed during buildworld.
>
> What could cause buildworld to crash like that? I'm now worried that my
> PSU board *was* damaged the other day. Is a damaged PSU the most likely
> cause of this incident?
>
> All advice very welcome.

Not enough information here to be sure, but it sure sounds like a hardware
problem.

You might do well to try memtest86 and cpuburn on that machine for a while,
to see if you can track down a hardware problem.  Monitor the temperature
of the machine while doing so, could be that the cooling is inadequate.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies